When you want both light and elegance at once to fill your room, there is no other great choice than a high chandelier. The decorations will, however, no longer look elegant if one or more of the light bulbs burn out.
In that case, you need to change the burnt-out bulb from the chandelier. But, how to change chandelier light bulbs in high ceilings? Let’s find out how you can regain the elegance inside your room.
Reasons For Changing Chandelier Light Bulbs In High Ceilings
Actually, a chandelier is a great lighting option for your dining rooms, halls, entrance paths, guest rooms, etc. Because, the chandelier attached to the high ceiling brings an aesthetic appeal, including the bright lighting. Not to mention, this type of lighting setup requires extra cash for such an appealing fixture. In most cases, there are some specific situations when you will think about changing the light bulbs from the high ceiling chandelier. These situations can be as:
- If the inner filament of any bulb is broken, it won’t light anymore, and you need to change the bulb.
- Sometimes the glass of the light bulb breaks and creates a messy condition. So, you should clear out the mess as soon as possible.
- When you want to install a smart light bulb system in your chandelier, you can install smart bulbs in your chandelier. As a result, you’ll be able to control your bulbs using your smartphone.
- If any bulb has a flickering problem, you cannot use the chandelier anymore.
- Nowadays, people mostly shift from standard bulbs to LED bulbs. Similarly, you can install LED bulbs in your chandelier, which can last 20 to 50 times longer than the traditional bulbs. Besides, the LED bulbs require less power to provide brighter light than the standard bulbs.
- When your standard bulb has provided a service for approximately one or two thousand hours, you should take a note that the bulb is near its end of life. Here, your bulb won’t burn out, or the filament will remain safe. But, using it further is not preferable if you don’t want to take the hassle of a sudden requirement for the light change.
How To Replace Chandelier Light Bulbs In High Ceilings
The main problem with changing chandelier light bulbs in high ceilings is the height. Because, the placement of the chandelier is so high that you cannot reach it in the usual way. Thus, if you fear working alone, you can call an expert. However, there are mainly two methods which you can use to change your chandelier light bulbs on high ceilings. Just make sure you are working very carefully.
Using A Ladder
A ladder is a prevalent option for working on high ceilings. First, you need to measure the required height to reach the top. Then, find a ladder that can achieve the same height, and you’ll usually need a taller one compared to a standard ladder.
- In the first place, you must put on rubber gloves as you will work with the light bulbs using your hands. So, the rubber gloves can give you protection from accidental electrical shock.
- After that, switch off the chandelier bulbs and make sure that no electricity flow is running through the chandelier. This way, you can avoid your chance of being electrocuted.
- Now, clear the surface below the chandelier so that the ladder can be appropriately set. Because you need enough room to keep the ladder steady and firm with a leveled position. Before climbing the ladder, double-check if the ladder is fully stable or not.
- If your ladder does not stay steady, you need someone to hold it for you. Otherwise, you will not be able to use the ladder and can fall to the ground.
- When you’ve climbed to the top, gently grab the desired bulb using the rubber surface of the gloves. Actually, you need to remove the outer cover of the bulb first, if there is any.
- Then, you need to rotate the bulb clockwise if it is upward facing. Otherwise, turn anti-clockwise when it is downward facing. This way, the bulb can be removed, and you can insert the new bulb by rotating in the opposite direction of removal.
- Finally, you can switch on the light bulb to check if the bulb is working perfectly. Then, you can attach the removed cover again to the bulb. And, you are good to go now.
Using A Bulb Grabber
If you don’t want to touch electrical wires and bulbs, you can simply use a bulb grabber to change the chandelier light bulbs from your high ceiling. Besides, you can avoid the risk of toppling over the ladder, and there is no need for an additional hand for your chandelier bulb-changing task. The only problem here is that you can demolish the bulb into the surface if you don’t know how to operate the bulb grabber properly.
- First, you should remember that some bulb grabbers cannot grab upward-facing bulbs. So, you need one which can fulfill your specific needs. Gladly, you will find some bulb grabbers which can work for both upward-facing and downward-facing bulbs.
- It is better to put on the rubber gloves and switch off the chandelier first. Now, attach the bulb grabber to the extension pole to reach a higher ceiling.
- Then, put the grabber on the light bulb and check if it fits perfectly. Be gentle when handling the bulb and rotate according to the facing of the bulb. In this way, the bulb will be detached from the chandelier, and you can bring the grabber down to remove the old bulb.
- Now, fix the new bulb into the grabber and take it to the empty place of the chandelier using the extension pole. Then, place the bulb in the socket and rotate it until screwed properly.
- Finally, release the bulb by pulling the release string. Then, turn on the chandelier to ensure the bulb is working fine. And, the changing process is now completed.
Changing chandelier light bulbs in high ceilings is not a tough job. However, you should consider the precautions before you begin. Be sure to turn off the chandelier before starting any of the methods. Alternatively, you can turn off the master switch to prevent electric shock entirely. Most of the time, you can replace the light fixtures with a tall ladder. If you are concerned about an electric shock and ladder fall, choose the bulb grabber.